Thursday, December 17, 2009

I told you so......

I have put my first born son in a bubble since the very young age of 4. Around that time he came down with a very strange, but apparently not so uncommon bleeding disorder called ITP (idiopathic thromocytopenia purpura). To make a very long story short he had an extremely low platelet count of 2000, a normal platelet count is between 150,000-450,000. This resulted in horrible bruises, petechiae, nose bleeds, blood spots in his mouth, and the very scary possibility of internal bleeding or intracranial bleeding. He had to undergo several months of oral steroids and the ever lingering possibility of being given blood particles (platelets). Here is a picture of my baby boy all bruised up.....to put it lightly, he looked like someone beat the crap out of him for a couple of months. It.Was.Horrible! (Sorry the photo quality is so bad...but that was the only digital camera we had at the time)

So, like I said, since then I have put Caleb in an imaginary bubble. I have never let him participate in any sort of contact sport. That was just the way it was. Nobody could/would blame me for the over protective state that I have lived in. As late as this fall I have been able to talk my boys out of any "dangerous" sports. I made a big deal about tackle football being too expensive and time consuming (this was not the case, but don't tell the boys). We opted to play the safer alternative...Flag football. I was happy with this option. You know, "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy?" Enough said!!!

All of these over protective tendencies have served us me well. Until a few weeks ago I lived in a happy safe place. Sadly, Caleb is growing up and is growing out of the alternative"safe sports." For some reason they don't offer Flag Football in Jr. High or High School. I am not sure why they don't, but that is a topic for another post.


Back to the topic at hand, wrestling (oh how my face cringes as I type that word).....after much persuasion on Caleb and his Fathers part, I decided that maybe I would deflate that imaginary bubble, just a little bit. So, with much hesitation and worry, knowing this was not a good idea, I "let" my husband sign the paperwork allowing Caleb to try out for the wrestling team........Do you feel an "I told you so" coming on? Here goes...........The very first wrestling match (at practice not even in a tournament), Caleb was thrown to the ground, shoulder first....resulting in a break to the collarbone. The boy is in pain and can't even move. His shoulder is drooping and he can't lift a thing. He is now out for 8 weeks. I want to scream from the roof of my humble home....."I TOLD YOU SO!!" I have been blowing HOT air back into that bubble as quickly as I can. Pray that my baby boy will heal quickly!!!




1 comment:

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Oh I am so sorry...but I have to tell you he is so handsome and I just love his sweet smile.

He may be in pain...but he is still smiling Momma.

Blog hit counter