July~ We returned from vacation to a disaster of gargantuan proportions! Okay, maybe it wasn't that big of a deal, but it sure was traumatic for us! Our house was struck by lighting shortly after we left town. The lightning strike took out the circuit boards on the garage door and the refrigerator, but didn't knock out the power. Our refrigerator continued to run, blowing hot air into the unit. This caused all the food to quickly spoil and start cooking at 100 degrees. Now, add the fact that the ice maker continued to run pouring ice tray, after ice tray, on top of the bloody spoiled meat for approximately 7 days undetected. This resulted in our entire main floor being flooded with bloody meat stained water that had already begun to mold. IT WAS A HUGE MESS! We had to move out of the house for about three weeks so the entire main floor could be gutted, sealed, and rebuilt. Sadly, we lost most of our furniture. For the next several weeks we drug our very cranky, uprooted children around to one furniture store, after another looking for replacements. At one point I remember looking at Steve and saying, "I don't care what the new stuff looks like, just get us out of here!" So, my wonderful husband got the joy of picking out our new furniture! Guess what he picked? Leather!! You will have to come and visit to see it! He did a great job! Four months later, I finally feel like our house is back to normal. Well, maybe its back to a new normal. What is normal for an Air Force family that is constantly moving around?
August~We moved back into our house.
~School was back in session and I sent my three boys off on different busses to new classrooms! It was an adjustment, but overall everyone is doing very well in school!
~Over labor day weekend we snuck out of town and visited Steve's parents. We had a great visit and even got to go see the Topeka Zoo and a fun park! We all had fun and look forward to another visit soon!
~School was back in session and I sent my three boys off on different busses to new classrooms! It was an adjustment, but overall everyone is doing very well in school!
~Catie Beth turned 3! Happy Birthday Baby girl! She started a preschool class that meets one day a week. It has been good for her! We have finally gotten to the point where I can leave her and she won't cry for me. She now understands that I am coming back for her. It has been a long two years of having a little princess permanently attached to my side! I don't mean that in a bad way! I'm just being real! Catie Beth also started a new gymnastics class at the Little Gym. She is getting very good at the balance beam! I love watching her have fun doing gymnastics.
September~Cody and CJ started flag football. Steve played the part of Coach for CJ's team. For the next 8 weeks our Monday nights and Saturday mornings were tied up with football! The boys had fun. Steve realized that coaching 9 little boys under the age of 8 was a bit more difficult than he thought it would be. I heard him say more than once (under his breath),"It's like herding cats" while shaking his head! In the end the kids all had a great time and Steve got a new appreciation for free Saturdays!
~Over labor day weekend we snuck out of town and visited Steve's parents. We had a great visit and even got to go see the Topeka Zoo and a fun park! We all had fun and look forward to another visit soon!
~The next weekend we enjoyed the Air Show from our front yard. That is one of the perks of living right off the flight line! We had some friends over and hosted a little Air Show party! In the first picture you can see the Blue Angels about to fly right over our house.
One of the down sides of living right off the flight line is the noise! There is constant air traffic that we have become accustomed to. But, the Air Show traffic is significantly louder. Catie Beth thought is was too loud for her baby so she put her ear defenders (that her daddy put on her) on her baby doll! Such a good little mommy!
~The Third weekend in September we finally had a Birthday party (a month late, due to the house situation) for our princess! It was no little affair. Catie Beth had about 30 guests of all ages attend the event. Steve went all out and rented a "not so little" jumpy castle! Catie Beth thoroughly enjoyed being celebrated! She was hilarious to watch! Who needs entertainment when they live with Catie Beth!
~The last weekend in September my sister Cassie and her friend Nick came for a visit! We had a great time. One night we got a babysitter and the four of us adults went out for a double date in St Louis. We enjoyed a fancy meal at The Melting Pot! I am so thankful for my sister! She is always there when I need her the most.
October~Steve started a new job! This was a much anticipated event. You see, for the previous 14 months Steve was an executive officer. This meant that he had a big job to do, that included anything and everything that his boss needed done. Steve regularly worked 14-15 hour days and often worked more hours than that. It was a tough job, but he did it well and got the favor of several of his senior leaders and earned a great deal of respect. Because of this he got a great job that will help him advance in his career! We are proud of him and are so thankful that he works so hard to provide for our family!
~We took a trip to the pumpkin patch. We enjoyed watching pig races, riding rides, eating kettle corn, feeding goats, picking apples, searching for pumpkins, and riding on the hayrack ride.
~Student of the Month!!!! Caleb was a 7th grade Student of the month for his middle school. We are so proud of our sweet boy! He totally deserved it!
~Football season came to a close. Yay!! Our Saturdays are now free!!!!!
~Halloween was a fun night. The weather was mild, so the kids got to enjoy Trick or Treating with only a light jacket. Catie Beth was snow white. My mom made the costume and Catie Beth loved it. CJ dressed up as a Nebraska football player, Cody dressed up as Superman, and Caleb was super creative and dressed up as a Nerd! The boys all made up their costumes on their own.
~I became a taxi driver. Yes, its true, I got an unpaid position as the resident taxi driver. We made a family decision to not allow the boys to ride the school bus anymore. It was a good decision for our family. I now spend approximately 1.5 hours a day in my car driving back and forth to drop off and pick up the boys. Their school days each start and end school at different times. Its all good though! Everyone, seems much happier and I am happy that my kids are happy! Happiness everywhere!! :)
Well, folks that just about brings us up to date on the busy life of our family. Now maybe I can stay caught up for once! We will see!
~The last weekend in September my sister Cassie and her friend Nick came for a visit! We had a great time. One night we got a babysitter and the four of us adults went out for a double date in St Louis. We enjoyed a fancy meal at The Melting Pot! I am so thankful for my sister! She is always there when I need her the most.
October~Steve started a new job! This was a much anticipated event. You see, for the previous 14 months Steve was an executive officer. This meant that he had a big job to do, that included anything and everything that his boss needed done. Steve regularly worked 14-15 hour days and often worked more hours than that. It was a tough job, but he did it well and got the favor of several of his senior leaders and earned a great deal of respect. Because of this he got a great job that will help him advance in his career! We are proud of him and are so thankful that he works so hard to provide for our family!
~In October I celebrated my birthday. My sweet friend Shara hosted a little birthday brunch for me. I felt spoiled and I'm thankful for such a good friend. Steve and the kids surprised me with a yummy ice cream cake, presents, and a beautiful bouquet of flowers!
On the night of my birthday, our life group at church had our fall party. So we went out to the church and had hot dogs and s'mores over the fire pit. I think the kids had more fun than the adults. We have a wonderful Life group (which is a fancy name for a Sunday School class).
On the night of my birthday, our life group at church had our fall party. So we went out to the church and had hot dogs and s'mores over the fire pit. I think the kids had more fun than the adults. We have a wonderful Life group (which is a fancy name for a Sunday School class).
~Student of the Month!!!! Caleb was a 7th grade Student of the month for his middle school. We are so proud of our sweet boy! He totally deserved it!
~Football season came to a close. Yay!! Our Saturdays are now free!!!!!
~Halloween was a fun night. The weather was mild, so the kids got to enjoy Trick or Treating with only a light jacket. Catie Beth was snow white. My mom made the costume and Catie Beth loved it. CJ dressed up as a Nebraska football player, Cody dressed up as Superman, and Caleb was super creative and dressed up as a Nerd! The boys all made up their costumes on their own.
~I became a taxi driver. Yes, its true, I got an unpaid position as the resident taxi driver. We made a family decision to not allow the boys to ride the school bus anymore. It was a good decision for our family. I now spend approximately 1.5 hours a day in my car driving back and forth to drop off and pick up the boys. Their school days each start and end school at different times. Its all good though! Everyone, seems much happier and I am happy that my kids are happy! Happiness everywhere!! :)
Well, folks that just about brings us up to date on the busy life of our family. Now maybe I can stay caught up for once! We will see!


2 comments:
WooHoo!!! I was starting to think the blog world might not ever get Christa back :) Likes the recap of the last few chaotic months!!
what an exciting busy fun filled (and not so fun filled) summer! sheesh! kids are getting big, catie beth is just as adorable and beautiful as ever :) so great to catch up!
Post a Comment