Thursday, June 9, 2011

My favorite pair of shoes

Have you ever had a pair of shoes that just fit perfectly?  The kind of shoes that feel good, look good, and go with just about anything.  They can be dressy or they can be casual.....you know what I'm talking about.  Well, I had the perfect pair of shoes.  They adorned my feet at church nearly every Sunday for years.  I had good times in those shoes and not so good times in them, but they were always comfy.    

As we were getting ready for our last Sunday at Church before the move I slipped on my trusty shoes.  They fit just as they always did....Perfect.  I had a heavy heart that day.  We had to say goodbye to our Illinois friends.  It was the end of a chapter in our lives.  We were moving on to a different chapter.  A chapter with a lot of unknowns and difficult steps ahead, my emotions were all over the place.  It was not a good day.  We got home from church and then it happened....just like that I heard a ripping sound...and then some more ripping.  In fact, my right shoe just fell off my foot.  At first I was shocked....I couldn't figure out what had just happened.  I looked down and saw my shoes in disrepair. There was no fixing them.  They were gone.  At first I picked them up and I said to myself...."That's just great, another thing in my life that is in shambles."  As I headed to the trash to throw them away....it hit me....These shoes have been through a lot with me.  They were on my feet the first time we went to church in Kansas and the first time we went to church in Illinois.  They were on my feet when I pinned Steve's Captain bars on his uniform.  They traveled with me wherever I went.  They made their way across the world and snuggled my feet the day my daughter became mine.  I trotted across the rainy streets of Seoul, South Korea with excited anticipation of receiving my sweet baby girl in these shoes.  These shoes have HISTORY...So before I threw them away  I felt compelled to take a picture of them.  Steve made fun of me.....but, I stopped and snapped this picture anyway.  I know you might think it's crazy....But I love these shoes. 
 
These shoes have now become a sort of symbol of what is to come.  Like I said before, it is the end of a chapter in my life.  We are moving on and these shoes are no longer going to be needed to comfort my feet in the days ahead.  They are no longer the right fit for the job.  I'm scared that God is going to require me to purchase a pair of heavy duty combat boots just like Steve's to help me through the next year.  For sure, I am going to need something a little more sturdy than these pretty little black shoes.  As the kids and I march through the next year without Daddy we are going to be marching through some dusty, dirty,  lonely fields.  It's time to find some new shoes that will be just as comfy and help me get the job done!  As I threw the black beauties away, I was reminded of a verse that I relied on so many times while I was waiting for Catie Beth to come home.  

 Isaiah 43:19  Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?  I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. 


Once again I will hold to this verse, this time for completely different reasons.  God was more than faithful last time and he will make a way for us this time as well!  We will get through this and during this season if I have to wear combat boots.....So be it! (figuratively speaking!) ;) 

No comments:

Blog hit counter